Python in a Nutshell -- Book vs Web

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Aug 29 07:44:41 EDT 2008

In article <mailman.186.1219987822.3487.python-list at python.org>,
Fredrik Lundh  <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>
>> No.  No, to an almost libelous extent.
>
>No matter what you write about, there's always a certain subcategory of
>potential readers who insist that collection, editing, filtering,
>structuring, clarification, and the author's real-life experience of the
>topic he's writing about has no value at all.  My guess is that they
>don't value their own time very highly.
>
></F>

Insightful.  Well, I find it insightful; perhaps it's
a personal blindness on my part.  I expect programmers
to understand, for example, that two lines of code can
be a good day's production, in some circumstances,
while it's "civilians" and managers who scorn their
value on quantitative grounds.  It's hard for me to
conceive of an expert programmer who doesn't esteem
what a high-quality book provides.