getattr() on nested functions?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Aug 21 11:14:12 EDT 2008

Gabriel Rossetti a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> Gabriel Rossetti a écrit :
>>> Terry Reedy wrote:
>> (snip)

>>> That's how I had done it originally (before the use of eval()), but
>>> in this case also, since the functions are still nested,
>>
>> Uh ??? You probably want to re-read the above code snippet.
>>
> Uh...yes, I didn't see the external/parent function was no longer there.
> I prefer to nest mine though because I have several parent functions for
> different tasks, so each child/nested function has a diff.
> implementation, I find that cleaner than having n*4+n top-level
> functions (+ n dicts), e.g. I prefer this :
>
>    def __task1(self, action, *args):
>        def request(params):
>            pass
>        def submit(params, values):
>            pass
>        def update(params, values):
>            pass
>        def delete(params):
>            pass
>        return resultToXml(locals()[action](*args))
>
>    def __task2(self, action, *args):
>        def request(params):
>            pass
>        def submit(params, values):
>            pass
>        def update(params, values):
>            pass
>        def delete(params):
>            pass
>        return resultToXml(locals()[action](*args))
>

> over this :

(snip)

> I could use your callable approach, but like you said it may not be
> worth the trouble.

The "trouble" I was talking about was not with using callable objects,
but with trying to hack func.func_code to extract nested functions (if
ever possible).

But anyway... The point of using callable objects is to avoid going thru
the whole "setup" part again and again and again. Now if all your task
functions only differ by the dispatch dict, there's at least another
ways to avoid this runtime repetition - as well as coding repetition
FWIW (warning : untested code):

def _make_task(func):
     dispatch = func()
     def _task(action, *args):
         return resultToXml(dispatch[action](*args))
     _task.__name__ = _task.func_name = func.__name__
    return _task

@_make_task
def _task1():
     def request(params):