Handling Property and internal ('__') attribute inheritance and creation

Rafe rafesacks at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:02:36 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've been thinking in circles about these aspects of Pythonic design
and I'm curious what everyone else is doing and thinks. There are 3
issues here:

1) 'Declaring' attributes - I always felt it was good code practice to
declare attributes in a section of the class namespace. I set anything
that is constant but anything variable is set again  in __init__():

Class A(object):
    name = "a name"
    type = "a typee"
    childobject = None

    def __init__(self, obj):
        self.childobject = object

This makes it easy to remember and figure out what is in the class.
Granted there is nothing to enforce this, but that is why I called it
'code practice'. Do you agree or is this just extra work?

2) Internal attributes (starting with 2x'_') aren't inherited. Do you
just switch to a single '_' when you want an "internal" attribute
inherited? These are attributes I want the classes to use but not the
user of these classes. Of course, like anything else in Python, these
aren't really private. It is just a convention, right? (The example
for #3 shows this.)

3) It isn't possible to override a piece of a Property Descriptor. To
get around this, I define the necessary functions in the class but I
define the descriptor in the __new__() method so the inherting class
can override the methods. Am I overlooking some basic design principle
here? This seems like a lot of work for a simple behavior. Example:

class Base(object):
    def __new__(cls):
        setattr(cls,
                "state",
                property(fget = cls._Get_state,
                         fset = cls._Set_state,
                         fdel = None,
                         doc  = cls._doc_state))

        obj = super(Base, cls).__new__(cls)
        return obj

    state = None    # Set in __new__()
    _state = True
    _doc_state = "The state of this object"
    def _Get_state(self): return self._state
    def _Set_state(self, value): self._state = value

class Child(Base):
    def _Get_state(self):
        # Do some work before getting the state.
        print "Getting the state using the child's method"
        return self._state

print Child().state

Please share your thoughts,

- Rafe