Thesaurus / ontology / taxonomy Python library

Benjamin Michiels benjamin.michiels at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 10:41:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am curently looking for a library allowing the creation and management of
a thesaurus. Our requirements are the following:

- creation of our own thesaurus (that is, terms AND relations between
terms), and indexing (and retrieving) documents with terms defined in our
thesaurus,
- "thesauraus management facilities", such as batch editing of content items
(e.g. for all documents indexed by keyword "A" and "B", replace keywords "A"
and "B" by keyword "C").
- user-friendly interface. This could a be tree-like structure (with -
ideally - several levels of indexing), such as:
  Shape  -  TS: Square
             + TS: Triangle  -  TS: Scalene triangle
                                      + TS: Equilateral triangle - [...]

Ideally, this library would be ready-for-Plone3.x-Zope2.10; but after some -
basic - searches, it appeared that such thesaurus management tools are
rather rare, so I was wondering whether there would even exist such a
library in Python...

What do you think of it and/or is there already a discussion on this topic?

Thank you in advance,

Benjamin Michiels