benchmark

M8R-n7vorv at mailinator.com M8R-n7vorv at mailinator.com
Thu Aug 7 06:23:09 EDT 2008

On Aug 7, 5:05 am, "Jack" <nos... at invalid.com> wrote:
> I know one benchmark doesn't mean much but it's still disappointing to see
> Python as one of the slowest languages in the test:
>
> http://blog.dhananjaynene.com/2008/07/performance-comparison-c-java-p...

I was actually disappointed myself with the results from a python
perspective. One thing I did notice was that both ruby and groovy have
substantially improved performance in their new versions. There is a
likelihood that maybe this particular code is not best suited for
pythonic idioms, but the same would've been the case I guess for ruby,
jruby and groovy, yet they performed really well. While I am a
relative newcomer to the python world, from what I have seen, ruby /
jruby and groovy are all making substantial improvements in their
performance (If this post did not include the newer versions of these
languages, python would've been on top of all of them) but I haven't
seen any evidence of the same in upcoming versions of python.

Having said that the same code with psyco works really fast (and beats
all the other dynamic languages v. handsomely). But I did not include
it in the comparisons because psyco is really not a part of core
feature set of python and I was unclear of the implications thereof.

Is there any reason why the psyco is not a part of the core python
feature set ? Is there a particular reason it is better to be kept as
a separate extension ? Are there any implications of using psyco ?

Cheers,
Dhananjay
http://blog.dhananjaynene.com