benchmark

Dhananjay dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 00:49:49 EDT 2008

On Aug 7, 11:58 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> M8R-n7v... at mailinator.com wrote:
>  > Are there any implications of using psyco ?
>
> It compiles statements to machine code for each set of types used in the
> statement or code block over the history of the run.  So code used
> polymorphically with several combinations of types can end up with
> several compiled versions (same as with C++ templates).  (But a few
> extra megabytes in the running image is less of an issue than it was
> even 5 or so years ago.)  And time spent compiling for a combination
> used just once gains little.  So it works best with numeric code used
> just for ints or floats.
>
> Terry J. Reedy

Sounds to me very much like polymorphic inline caching / site caching,
which
is something I have seen been worked upon and getting introduced in
recent
versions of groovy / jruby and ruby 1.9 (and I read its being looked
at in
Microsoft CLR as well .. but I could be wrong there). I am no expert
in this
so please correct me if I deserve to be.

But if site caching is indeed being adopted by so many dynamic
language
runtime environments, I kind of wonder what makes python hold back
from
bringing it in to its core. Is it that a question of time and effort,
or
is there something that doesn't make it appropriate to python ?

Cheers,
Dhananjay