Lining Up and PaddingTwo Similar Lists

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 28 23:50:37 EDT 2008

Maybe there's some function like zip or map that does this. If not, it's
probably fairly easy to do with push and pop. I'm just checking to see if
there's not some known simple single function that does what I want. Here's
what I'm trying to do.

I have a list dat like (assume the items are strings even thought I'm
omitting quotes.):
[a.dat, c.dat, g.dat, k.dat, p.dat]

I have another list called txt that looks like:
[a.txt, b.txt, g.txt, k.txt r.txt, w.txt]

What I need is to pair up items with the same prefix and use "None", or some
marker, to indicate the absence of the opposite item. That is, in non-list
form, I want:
a.dat a.txt
None  b.txt
c.dat None
g.dat g.txt
k.dat k.txt
p.dat  None
None  r.txt
None  w.txt

Ultimately, what I'm doing is to find the missing member of pairs.

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>