Python FTP - NameError: name 'mydpa' is not defined

Ej gaikolai at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 10:18:53 EDT 2008

I have a similar problem. I need to download the same file every hour
so it will be nice to be able to rename the downloads with a variable
name.

For example in this case:

from ftplib import FTP
ftp=FTP('tgftp.nws.noaa.gov')
ftp.login()
ftp.cwd('SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/DS.81dpr/SI.kbuf')
ftp.retrbinar('RETR sn.last', open('sn','wb').write)
ftp.quit()

Question: How to achive rename the downloaded files as sn1, sn2,
sn3.... or with a timestamp?
The ftp.rename() is used to rename files on the server, isn't it?I'm
Python shy. Please help.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.