Programmers needed: open governance project

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Fri Aug 8 14:33:27 EDT 2008

The Metagovernment project is seeking Python programmers to help us
build Metascore, an open source (Affero GPL) web application intended
to act as the governing mechanism of any community of any size.
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Metascore

Metascore could be used for something as simple as managing the
administrative functions of a chess club to something as massive as
being the legal government of a city (or larger).

The primary objective is to enable everyone in a community to
participate in the governance of that community, without having to
rely on any individual leader/representative.

In its simplest form, this system can simplify the administration of
small communities, obviating the need for a cumbersome bureaucratic
structure. In it's most sophisticated potential application, it can
enable massively-participatory ("web 2.0") global direct democracy
without suffering from the traditional flaws of "mob rule."  We are
attempting to build a mechanism where consensus can be built
organically through the promotion of synthesis between conflicting
points of view.

We invite you to check us out and see if you could be of assistance.

We are pre-Alpha, and currently have two radically different branches.
One of those is being developed in Python 2.4 and Django, and the lead
developer would love to have some help. See this page for a general
description and a link to a code repository:
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/PrototypeA
A running copy of the code is on the developer's laptop (but will be
moved to metascore.org soon), so I won't give out that link, but he
would be happy to talk to / share with you.

What's in it for you, other than some great programming experience? A
chance to be an architect and builder of what just might be the new
government of humanity. It is a long road we are following, but
clearly the world is poised to mature beyond archaic, leader-follower
forms of government. This is your chance to be one of the key players
to make it happen.

Feel free to contact me, contact the lead developer of this branch (he
hangs out on #metascore on irc.freenode.net) or to join our startup
committee (i.e., mailing list) detailed at:
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Startup

Thank you for your consideration.

Ed Pastore
Metagovernment project