First Python project - comments welcome!

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Mon Apr 7 13:18:27 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:56 -0700, Lie wrote:
> I don't know if it was just me, but I can't just scan through your
> code briefly to know what it is about (as is with any non-trivial
> codes), only after looking through the website's Roadmap I realized
> it's something to do with audio and recording. Perhaps you should add
> a short module-level docstring that explains in a brief what the code
> is about, somewhat like an abstract.

Sure, will add that. It is a simple GUI based audio (and later video)
recorder that a user can record a audio stream from line in (mic) and
create an ogg vorbis file from it. It then allows the user to upload the
ogg file to a Chisimba (PHP5 - my day job) based server to be consumed
automagically as a podcast. The file is tagged and converted to MP3
server side and added to the Chisimba podcast module. It is really for
use in lecture halls so that lecturers can upload their audio files as
podcasts for the students to listen to almost immediately afterwards.

> And second, it's just my personal preference, but I usually like to
> separate between GUI codes (codes that handle GUI events) and working
> code (the real worker).

Couldn't agree more! MVC architecture is how I do all of my code.
Unfortunately, this was my first stab at

1. Python
2. GUI applications
3. Audio apps

so I will need some more help in doing that (i.e. ramping up my skills
or getting someone that knows what they are doing onto the project to
help out).

Thanks for the feedback though, I will improve in time... :)

--Paul