Self in Interactive Interpreter

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 6 06:55:46 EDT 2008

kj7ny wrote:

> With some of my larger applications, it doesn't seem to work well to
> try to run the whole thing in the interpreter.  At least for me, I am
> not a big IDE sort of programmer.  I am much more comfortable in vim
> and command line stuff.  I suppose I should use the IDE more.

you don't need to run the whole thing, of course; just structure your
code so you can work with individual modules, import *those* modules
into the command line interface, and call their contents from there.

cutting and pasting and rewriting code to be able to test it strikes me
as tedious and error prone compared to the alternative.

(and this has nothing to with IDE:s.  I've worked full time with Python
for ages, and I still do 99.5% of my programming with an editor and a
command line)

</F>