In Tkinter - having an input and an entry

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Apr 5 10:12:11 EDT 2008

markfernandes02 at googlemail.com wrote:

> Thanks it sorted out my 'StringVar' problem.
> I now have another problem...
>
> Exception in Tkinter callback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "D:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
>     return self.func(*args)
> TypeError: Insert() takes at least 1 argument (0 given)
>
> Code below
>
> def Insert(self, *row):
>     global cursor, title, author, pubdate, accessDatabase
>     sqlInsert = "INSERT INTO Book_table (Bookname, BookAutor,
> Publicationdate) VALUES('title + ',' author + ',' pubdate)"

is Insert a function or a method (that is, a function defined inside a
class)?  who's calling Insert?  what is "self" supposed to be?

to sort out Python's function call mechanisms, try reading the following
chapters:

http://www.ibiblio.org/swaroopch/byteofpython/read/functions.html
http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006600000000000000000

</F>