Java or C++?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon Apr 14 04:03:58 EDT 2008

s0suk3 at gmail.com a écrit :
> Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on a subject. I've been
> programming Python for almost two years now. Recently I learned Perl,
> but frankly I'm not very comfortable with it. Now I want to move on
> two either Java or C++, but I'm not sure which. Which one do you think
> is a softer transition for a Python programmer? Which one do you think
> will educate me the best?

if it's for educational purpose, then you have absolutely nothing to
learn from Java. On the hi-level languages side, I'd rather recommend
Haskell or OCaml (functional programming) and/or Erlang (concurrent
programming). And if you want to go the 'close to the metal' way, then
better to learn C.

My 2 cents...