Wrapping C++ class with SWIG, Mac OS X

Paul Anton Letnes paul.anton.letnes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 08:46:53 EDT 2008

Okay, installed SIP. Looks promising, following the tutorial on
http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip4/sipref.html#using-sip
It should be noted that I am working on a Mac - I know there are some
differences, but it's still UNIX and should work somehow.

Anyway, I copy-paste and create the Word.h header, write an
implementation in Word.cpp, the SIP wrapper Word.sip and the
configure.py script. I now run configure and make, creating the
following error:

~/Desktop/SIP_example $ python configure.py
~/Desktop/SIP_example $ make
c++ -c -pipe -fPIC -Os -Wall -W -I. -I/sw/include/python2.5 -o
sipwordcmodule.o sipwordcmodule.cpp
c++ -c -pipe -fPIC -Os -Wall -W -I. -I/sw/include/python2.5 -o
sipwordWord.o sipwordWord.cpp
c++ -headerpad_max_install_names -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -o
word.so sipwordcmodule.o sipwordWord.o -lword
ld: library not found for -lword
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [word.so] Error 1
~/Desktop/SIP_example $

SWIG at least works nicely with C... Too bad I know so little about
compilers and libraries, I don't quite understand what the linker (ld)
is complaining about. The simplest tutorial should anyway work?

Cheers
Paul.