Java or C++?

xakee m.zaki.mirza at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:49:13 EDT 2008

On Apr 14, 11:44 am, s0s... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on a subject. I've been
> programming Python for almost two years now. Recently I learned Perl,
> but frankly I'm not very comfortable with it. Now I want to move on
> two either Java or C++, but I'm not sure which. Which one do you think
> is a softer transition for a Python programmer? Which one do you think
> will educate me the best?

Well if you need an easier transition, go for java. But personally i
would recommend you to go for C/C++. There are a few very solid
reasons for that.
1. You can still use ur python konwledge, integrate python with you
applications, extend python with C/C++ .. and so on. That would not
only benefit you but the whole community.
2. C/C++ is likely to teach you more things in this transition than
java will. You probably know all the good software engineering stuff
and things like that maybe, (which you can still use in python) but
going to C/C++ you can actually delve into systems programming and
things like that. When you do that, again, you can extend python and
contribute to the community.
3. When you get hold of c/c++, there will be lesser friction in you
forever to transition to  any other language. I appriciate that you
chose python in the first place since that is what i advocate as
well ... the way i see programming should be taught or taken up is
like :
bash/shell scripting -> python/perl -> c/c++ -> assembly .... (from
there on, given you give enough time to the end parts, you should not
have any difficulty going to C#/Java/VB/Delphi or whatever for some
nice RAD or even production level performance not-so-critical
applications). So if you're intrested in system programming getting to
know how things get done, have a SOLID computing background and give
python what python gave you, go for C/C++.