Python 2.5 adoption

Patrick Mullen saluk64007 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 21:15:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:

>  OP: keep in mind that your users do not see any gain from you using
>  2.5. All they see is something that makes your software harder to
>  install. At some point you can dismiss them as living in the Stone Age,
>  but the Stone Age is currently 2.1 or something. Maybe 2.2 is, too.

Except for the memory bug which 2.5 fixed (not giving memory back),
which in some cases with 2.4 could be a really large issue.  But in
that case you get the benefit whether it was "coded for" 2.5 or not.
So it is still safest to develop for a lower common denominator.  For
me, the best things about 2.5 were the memory fixes/performance, and
the inclusion of ctypes in the standard library.  The language
upgrades are mostly corner cases.  If I were the OP, and those corner
situations aren't too big of an issue, I would restrict my usage to
2.4 or even 2.3 to allow easier adoption of the software.