How is GUI programming in Python?

bvidinli bvidinli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 04:26:18 EDT 2008

So many gui toolkits, designers....
none of them makes up half of Delphi... unfortunately...

i try to use Boa now, easiest of all others on linux/python,
but it is far away from Delphi- delphi like...

Why dont those toolkits/designers come together and build a single,
powerfull ide ?

2008/4/16, bockman at virgilio.it <bockman at virgilio.it>:
> On 11 Apr, 20:19, Rune Strand <rune.str... at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Apr 10, 3:54 am, Chris Stewart <cstewart... at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > ...
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > > Next, what would you say is the best framework I should look into?
>  > > I'm curious to hear opinions on that.
>  >
>  > GUI-programming in Python is a neanderthal experience. What one may
>  > love with console scripts is turned upside-down.  Projects like Boa
>  > Constructor seemed to be a remedy, but is not developed. The Iron-
>  > Pythonistas has a very promising RAD GUI-tool in the IronPython -
>  > Studio,http://www.codeplex.com/IronPythonStudio- but if you're non-
>  > Iron, only sorrow is left - unless you fancy creating GUI in a text-
>  > editor. Something I consider waste of life.
>
>  If you refer to lack of GUI designer, every toolkit usable by python -
>  barring Tkinter - has a GUI
>  designer wich can be used:
>
>  pygtk -> Glade
>  pywx -> wxDesigner, rxced, ...
>  pyqt -> QDesigner, ...
>
>  All can generate python code and/or generate files that can be used by
>  python program to
>  create the whole GUI with a few function calls (e.g. libglade ).
>
>  If you refer to the lack of visual programming ala visualstudio or
>  JBorland, you might be right,
>  but I personally found that visual programming makes for very
>  unmaintenable code, especially if you have to
>  fix something and you don't have the IDE with you (and this has
>  happened many times to me).
>  Therefore I now prefer a clean separation between the GUI (described
>  in someting like glade files or .xrc files)
>  and my code.
>
>  BTW, once learned to use the right layout managers, even building a
>  GUI from scratch is not such a PITA, since you
>  don't have to manually place each widget anymore, but only define the
>  structure of packers and grids and then
>  adjust borders and such with some -limited IME - experimentation. I
>  know people that prefer this approach to any GUI builder, having
>  developed their own little library to help reducing the boilerplate
>  (and in Python you can do nice things with decorators ans such ... ).
>
>  So maybe yes, in python you might not have the fancy world of visual
>  programming, but neither are deprived of tools
>  that make your work easier.
>
>  Ciao
>  -----
>  FB
>

>  --

İ.Bahattin Vidinli
Elk-Elektronik Müh.
iletisim bilgileri (Tercih sirasina gore):
skype: bvidinli (sesli gorusme icin, www.skype.com)
msn: bvidinli at iyibirisi.com
yahoo: bvidinli

+90.532.7990607