[Python 2.4/2.5] subprocess module is sorely deficient?

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 05:31:54 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 23 Apr 2008 14:46:20 Christian Heimes wrote:
> Harishankar schrieb:
> > Is there any platform independent way to launch a terminal window from a
> > desktop (Windows, Linux, etc.)?
>
> No, there isn't. It usually not possible to create a graphical terminal
> window on a remote server.
>
> Christian

Ah, well, since my application is a desktop tool and it requires a GUI I'm
doing something like this:

However, I have to then force the user to use xterm (which is a popular/common
X Terminal)

if (sys.platform.startswith ('win'):
    # launch the windows cmd.exe with the command
else:
    # warn the user that xterm is required and then launch xterm

Regards,
V. Harishankar

http://hari.literaryforums.org
http://harishankar.org