How can I use quotes without escaping them using CSV?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Apr 9 19:07:54 EDT 2008

On Apr 10, 7:39 am, "Reedick, Andrew" <jr9... at ATT.COM> wrote:
> [...]

which means an exception is raised:

_csv.Error: need to escape, but no escapechar set

> > Here's my code:
[snip]

> >         writer = csv.writer(f, delimiter='\t', quoting=csv.QUOTE_NONE)
[snip]

> The documentation is pretty, uhm, obtuse, but you also need to set
> quotechar.

Uhm, "obtuse" applies to angles and people :-) I could agree with
"obscure".

> import sys
> import csv
>
> names = ['Michael L. "Mick" Jones', 'Vickie A. Meyers', 'John "Jack"
> Smith']
>
> writer = csv.writer(sys.stdout, delimiter='\t', quotechar='',
> quoting=csv.QUOTE_NONE)
> for i in names:
>         writer.writerow(['a', i, 'b'])
>
> output:
> a       Michael L. "Mick" Jones b
> a       Vickie A. Meyers        b
> a       John "Jack" Smith       b
>
> *****

Here's my call:

(1) Code bug: when quoting is set to QUOTE_NONE, it should ignore the
setting of quotechar -- it's irrelevant.

(2) Documentation bug:
"""
quotechar
A one-character string ....
"""
but the code allows setting quotechar to '' and to None. Both work
around the OP's problem; whether they have identical effect in other
situations, I haven't explored.

Cheers,
John