Code/test ratio wrt static vs dynamic typing [was: Re: Python Success stories]

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:03:16 EDT 2008

On Apr 29, 2:25 pm, Fuzzyman <fuzzy... at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are around 30 000 lines of Python in the production code and
> about 120 000 lines of Python code in the test framework.

A rather off-topic and perhaps naive question, but isn't a 1:4
production/test ratio a bit too much ? Is there a guesstimate of what
percentage of this test code tests for things that you would get for
free in a statically typed language ? I'm just curious whether this
argument against dynamic typing - that you end up doing the job of a
static compiler in test code - holds in practice.

George