[Python 2.4/2.5] subprocess module is sorely deficient?

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:09:49 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 23 Apr 2008 02:25:14 Christian Heimes wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood schrieb:
> > Nothing apart from the fact it doesn't work on windows.  The buffering
> > will cause you grief too.  If you want to do this properly under unix
> > use pexpect not subprocess.
> >
> >   http://www.noah.org/wiki/Pexpect
> >
> > Proper non blocking IO is an absolute nightmare under Windows in my
> > experience!  It really isn't the Windows way so you are fighting the
> > system the whole time.
>
> Nick is correct. The subproces tries to work around the issues with
> threads. But it's no more than an ugly workaround fir Windows' short
> comings on async file IO. It's a shame Windows implements the select()
> syscall in wsock32 and limits its usage to sockets.
>
> By the way I'm willing to dedicate some time to help enhancing the
> subprocess. Everybody is invited to submit patches and I'll review and
> check them into the trunk and py3k ASAP. Any help is appreciated:
> enhancements for async IO, doc updates, more examples ...
>
> Christian
> Python core developer

Thanks a lot to everybody who's been following this discussion. Very
interesting indeed.

I'm currently thinking of working around this problem by actually opening a
new terminal window and running the command from there, thus allowing the
user full control over the process.

Is there any platform independent way to launch a terminal window from a
desktop (Windows, Linux, etc.)?

--
Regards,
V. Harishankar