ANN: pry unit testing framework

Aldo Cortesi aldo at nullcube.com
Sat Apr 5 08:07:08 EDT 2008

Thus spake BJörn Lindqvist (bjourne at gmail.com):

> Isn't nose tree-based too? You can select both single test-cases
> suites or directories to run.

Well, in a way, perhaps. But not in the sense that Pry is. In Pry you
can nest test fixtures (setUp/tearDown pairs) within test fixtures,
allowing arbitrarily deep fixture hierarchies. You can then address any
sub-tree in this hierarchy from the command-line. This structure turns
out to be terribly useful in practice, when, for example, developing
database applications.

> Anyway, I don't think comparisions with nose is fair, because nose is
> the best of the best and all other test runners fall short of it. :)

I'll take your word for it. ;) Unfortunately, the more bang per line of
code argument won't do, since the number of lines of code in your nose
example and the Pry example matches almost exactly. Unless, of course,
you were joking and that was precisely the point you were trying to
make... in which case I apologise and you can ignore this... ;)

Regards,

Aldo

--
Aldo Cortesi