Given a string - execute a function by the same name

Matimus mccredie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 12:49:26 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, 9:33 am, pyt... at bdurham.com wrote:
> I'm parsing a simple file and given a line's keyword, would like to call
> the equivalently named function.
>
> There are 3 ways I can think to do this (other than a long if/elif
> construct):
>
> 1. eval()
>
> 2. Convert my functions to methods and use getattr( myClass, "method" )
>
> 3. Place all my functions in dictionary and lookup the function to be
> called
>
> Any suggestions on the "best" way to do this?
>
> Thank you,
> Malcolm

You can always import yourself and use getattr on that module.

in file "mytest.py":

def foo():
    print "foo called"

def call_by_name(name, *args, **kwargs):
    import mytest

    f = getattr(mytest, "foo")
    f(*args,  **kwargs)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    call_by_name('foo')

Alternatively you can import __main__ if you are always going to be
running directly from that file.

Matt