Finally had to plonk google gorups.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Apr 16 12:35:27 EDT 2008

On 2008-04-16, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
>> c.l.py here.

Browse it via the mailing list using gmane.org.  There are no
ads and your postings won't get plonked by everybody.

>> And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
>> either.
>
> I rarely use NNTP these days.  I access c.l.py exclusively via
> e-mail, and that works very well.  In some cases there is a
> lot of spam that gets filtered out of the nntp side, but makes
> it through to the smtp side (like that religious spam a few
> months back).  But I see absolutely none of the google groups
> problems that Grant mentioned.  I view my python list mail in
> gmail, and get about 1-2 spam messages a day in the python
> list.
>
> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even
> still on nntp.  All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap,
> clamav, freeradius, etc) are all e-mail mailing lists only and
> it works very well.  In fact, I think it's much better since
> list subscription can actually be controlled by someone.

Since gmane.org makes all the e-mail lists I care about
available via NNTP, I can still use a news client to read
"e-mail mailing lists only".  I've always found that news
clients are much better at handling things like mailing lists
than e-mail clients.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Quick, sing me the
                                  at               BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!