py3k s***s

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:09:05 EDT 2008

On Apr 16, 11:15 am, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 16 abr, 09:56, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In my opinion python's adherence to backwards compatibility
> > has been a bit mythological anyway -- many new python versions
> > have broken my old code for no good reason.  This is an irritant
> > when you have thousands of users out there who suddenly drop
> > your code, blame you and python, and move on to use something else.
> > Honestly, how hard would it have been to provide standard backwards
> > support for the old regex module as a standard module which simply
> > translated one regex string format to another, for example?
>
> Do you mean this?
>
> py> import reconvert
> py> help(reconvert)...

Yes I mean it.  Actually I was unaware
of/forgot reconvert, but it doesn't
matter because it doesn't solve the problem of code I wrote that
has long ago escaped into the wild no longer working.  There are
other examples too, having to do with things as simple as a name
change in a standard module that broke old
code of mine for what I regard as silly cosmetic reasons.

I hope you are right about py3k conversions being pain
free and routine.  I'm suspicious about it however.

   -- Aaron Watters

===
http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=cause+pain