Finally had to plonk google gorups.

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 16 13:01:16 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

Michael Torrie writes:

> Torsten Bronger wrote:
>
>> The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious.
>> Fortunately, most important computer-related lists are on
>> gmane.org.  We could list c.l.py there, too.  ;-)
>
> Running a few lists myself, I don't see this.  How is
> administrative overhead tedious?  Most open source projects do it,
> so I wonder just how tedious it is.  Of all the projects I'm
> associated with in lists, Python is the only one still clinging to
> NNTP when it appears a normal mail list is just as good.

Perish the thought that I ever have to go back to mailing lists
again!  Finding the web page, entering name and email address and a
password, waiting for request for confirmation, sending out
confirmation, clicking away welcome message, setting filter in email
program, and doing the same for unsubscribing a few days later after
having found out that it's not so interesting after all.  No.

Just going to the group list, search the group, pressing "U" -- and
getting all the postings of the past, too!  And for unsubscribing,
press "U" again.  No email address, no password, no filters, no
hassle.  And spam is also very rare in my groups.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org
               (See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)