wsdl (soap) without code generation

sam sam at mas.pl
Wed Apr 2 11:54:59 EDT 2008

Thomas Guettler napisał(a):

> I googled for 'wsdl python' and found ZSI.

This is current solution, but it is quite new and actively developed, so newer
versions are sometimes not compatibile with old ones. So if you use distribution
provided packages (eg Debian) you can have troubles after system upgrade and
regenerating stub.

> This project uses code generation. That's something
> I don't like.

But after you have generated files it is easy to use that tool -- just call a
function and grab result.

With ZSI you don't have to generate code, but you will have to do more coding to
invoke a call.

> I am new to WSDL and SOAP. Do I need a WSDL parsing
> routine at all? I guess my wsdl definition won't change
> during the next years. So I could read the wsdl with
> my eyes and make a fitting soap call...

No -- you don't have to read WSDL at all! Just make somebody else do it for you.
SOAP is just about sending and receiving text, but you have to keep that
properely formated. You don't have to use automation of WSDL and XML parsing.

For example visit:

	http://soapclient.com/soaptest.html

put your wsdl file address, click Retrieve. Then fill forms and see what is
response and reply -- they will be your templates. Then write simple Python
programs with socks sending and receiving templates on http (or https) port. If
you gave me your wsdl file address I could probably give more precise help.

Here goes example: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth5/#code3