Welcome to the "Python-list" mailing list

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 7 10:54:52 EDT 2008

Ronn Ross wrote:
> This is my first post and I'm new to Python. How would someone go about
> adding keywords to Python? It would be great to add support for
> Esperanto keywords in the language instead of English being the only
> option.

Unfortunately the resulting language would no longer be Python.

You need to consider software portability: Python has been very
conservative about declaring words to be "keywords" in the language,
though clearly words like "def" and "class" must necessarily be part of
the syntax.

When you start to replace the keywords, though, your programs are no
longer runnable on all Python installations, and simple transliteration
fails because sometimes a keyword in one (natural) language will
conflict with a programmer's choice of name(s) in another.

So it's a superficially attractive idea with some really bad downside
consequences.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119