ioctl.py

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:53:45 EDT 2008

Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> En Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:30:56 -0300, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>
> escribió:
>
>> I need an ioctl call equivalent to this C code:
>>
>>     my_struct s;
>>     s.p = p; << a pointer to an array of char
>>     s.image_size = image_size;
>>     return (ioctl(fd, xxx, &s));
>>
>> I'm thinking to use python array for the array of char, but I don't see
>> how
>> to put it's address into the structure.
>
> Use the array's buffer_info() method:
> """buffer_info(): Return a tuple (address, length) giving the current
> memory address and the length in elements of the buffer used to hold
> array's contents."""
> <http://docs.python.org/lib/module-array.html>
> and you can use the struct module to build my_struct.
>
>> Maybe ctypes is the answer?
>
> It could be used too, but I think that in this case it's harder to use
> ctypes.

Here is what ioctl should be:

from ctypes import *

libc = CDLL ('/lib/libc.so.6')
#print libc.ioctl

libc.ioctl.argtypes = (c_int, c_int, POINTER (eos_dl_args_t))

_IOC_WRITE = 0x1

_IOC_NRBITS=    8
_IOC_TYPEBITS=  8
_IOC_SIZEBITS=  14
_IOC_DIRBITS=   2

_IOC_NRSHIFT=   0
_IOC_TYPESHIFT= (_IOC_NRSHIFT+_IOC_NRBITS)
_IOC_SIZESHIFT= (_IOC_TYPESHIFT+_IOC_TYPEBITS)
_IOC_DIRSHIFT=  (_IOC_SIZESHIFT+_IOC_SIZEBITS)

def _IOC (dir, type, nr, size):
    return (((dir)  << _IOC_DIRSHIFT) | \
         ((type) << _IOC_TYPESHIFT) | \
         ((nr)   << _IOC_NRSHIFT) | \