Problem building python in virtual machine running centos

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 07:27:16 EDT 2008

On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <gil... at scripps.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
> machine running with xen.
> I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
> gcc -pthread -c  -DNDEBUG -g  -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
> -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
> Objects/unicodeobject.c
> In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
>                  from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
> ./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>
> Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can
sometimes compile Python, or does the crash always happen when
compiling some file (not necessarily the one mentioned above)? I think
I've only ever seen a reproducible gcc crash once, and that had
something to do with a C++ source file which I then split into two and
was able to compile as these two separate parts. You might want to
check the gcc version (gcc -v) and to look at bug fixes in any later
versions. Generally, if you get an internal error in gcc, you aren't
doing anything wrong yourself.

Paul