python command mis-interprets arrow keys

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Apr 29 19:43:04 EDT 2008

Rahul schrieb:
> "Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote in
> news:67pp4oF2ppl3sU1 at mid.uni-berlin.de:
>
>> Is libreadline installed?
>
> Thanks for your help Diez. I did a locate and found:
>
> /usr/lib/libreadline.a
> /usr/lib/libreadline.so
> /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5
> /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5.1
> /usr/local/src/Python-2.4.4/Doc/lib/libreadline.tex
>
> Any better way to check?

The question is if python is build with readline support. Did the python
version work before, and somehow got messed up, or did you build it
yourself and it never actually worked? If it's the latter case, you
might try & install a possible readline-dev-package (or whatever it is
called on red hat), and build again, cautiously monitoring if readline
is picked up from the build-process.

Diez