How is GUI programming in Python?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 16 00:45:50 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

lxlaurax at gmail.com writes:

> On 11 abr, 20:31, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> I have no experience with GUI programming in Python, but from this
> discussion it seems if the type of license is not an issue (for
> FOSS development), PyQt is the best tool because it is:
>
> (a) easier to learn and intuitive for programming (this is
> important to me; I am not that smart...);
>
> (b) more stable (although many people have said that wxPython is
> as stable as any other GUI nowadays; but not more stable (wx) than
> others);
>
> (c) more cross-platform (many people complain that they have to do
> a lot of things in wxPython for the cross-platform).
>
> Is (a) and (c) true or not? If so, how big are these advantages?

I really don't know what someone could mean with (c).  (b) is
probably correct, however for both toolkits this is a not critical
from my observation (writing own programs and reading reports of
others).  (a) is a matter of taste.  I, for example, ruled out Qt
because I've never understood its mentality.  I've read it over and
over again, but I didn't grasp it.  It depends on your background
probably.

> The great advantage of wxPython seems to be the huge community of
> users and the large number of widgets/examples/applications
> available.

Unless the Qt people simple can shout much louder, I think both
communities are equally sized, but I don't know for sure.

> Reformulating my question:
>
> Which GUI tool, wxPython or PyQt, is more pythonic?

In my opinion: none.  This was important to me, too, so I looked at
it closely when I chose my GUI toolkit.

wxPython is traditionally considered unpythonic which is a bit
unfair now.  They tweaked it a little in recent years and it is
reasonable pythonic now.  It still has its warts, but Qt definitely
has them, too.  If you want to have it clean, you must climb up to
another level of abstraction (Dabo, Wax etc).  I wouldn't do this
because it gets slower and less well supported by a large community.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org
               (See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)