Python 2.5 adoption

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:34:02 EDT 2008

On Apr 18, 1:08 pm, Joseph Turian <tur... at gmail.com> wrote:
> How widely adopted is python 2.5?
>
> We are doing some development, and have a choice to make:
> a) Use all the 2.5 features we want.
> b) Maintain backwards compatability with 2.4.
>
> So I guess the question is, does anyone have a sense of what percent
> of python users don't have 2.5?
>
> Thanks,
>    Joseph

I think it depends more on what you want to do. If you're distributing
the software, you can just "freeze" it and make binaries and then it
doesn't matter. Or if you use Python at your business, you can do what
we do at my workplace: Put Python on the network and run all the
scripts from there.

Currently, we have 2.4 on our network, but I think we can upgrade it
to 2.5 without breaking anything. I develop in 2.5 and just put the
finished products on our network and they usually "just work". But I
have yet to find good use cases for some of the cool whizz-bang extras
of 2.5, so I haven't pushed for the network upgrade.

I hope to figure out when, where and how to use generators and
decorators at some point, but I just haven't gotten that far a long
yet, I guess.

Mike