What to download when updating?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 23:39:19 EDT 2008

On Apr 26, 4:57 pm, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
>         Out of curiosity, if I recompile a Python (wxPython) app with
> py2exe, can I have customers just download the latest .exe, or are
> there dependencies that require downloading the whole thing again?
>
> FWIW, here's the list of files that were created after running py2exe:
>
> myprog.exe
> bz2.pyd
> library.zip
> MSVCR71.dll
> python25.dll
> unicodedata.pyd
> w9xpopen.exe
> wxbase28uh_net_vc.dll
> wxbase28uh_vc.dll
> wxmsw28uh_adv_vc.dll
> wxmsw28uh_core_vc.dll
> wxmsw28uh_html_vc.dll
> _controls_.pyd
> _core_.pyd
> _gdi_.pyd
> _misc_.pyd
> _windows_.pyd
>
> Thank you.

Gilles,

I think you can get away with just the executable. However, there are
some options in py2exe that allow you to output one file. I use
GUI2Exe, a GUI to py2exe that makes it quite a bit easier to wrap
these things:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/GUI2Exe.html

You just set Optimize and Compressed to 2 and Bundle Files to 1. I
also use Inno Setup if I need an installer.

Hope that helps!

Mike