How is GUI programming in Python?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Thu Apr 10 14:21:43 EDT 2008

Chris Stewart wrote:

> I've always had an interest in Python and would like to dabble in
> it further.  I've worked on a few very small command line programs
> but nothing of any complexity.  I'd like to build a really simple
> GUI app that will work across Mac, Windows, and Linux.  How
> painful is that going to be?

I've built and am maintaining a not-so-simple-anymore cross platform
GUI application using wxPython (running in GNU/Linux (GTK+) and
Windows (XP/Vista)). It integrates well since wxPython uses native
widgets. The only problems I face are minor looks problems with
some widgets, e. g. tooltips with line breaks or list controls with
custom font. Custom widgets work very well.

Windows fonts BTW are a real pain since they have almost no unicode
characters, compared to today's GNU/Linux distributions.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #383:

Your processor has taken a ride to Heaven's Gate on the UFO behind
Hale-Bopp's comet.