Google App Engine

Erich sophacles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:49:01 EDT 2008

On Apr 9, 3:51 am, Duncan Booth <duncan.bo... at invalid.invalid> wrote:
<snip>
> The backend data store, while it has a vaguely SQLish query language is an
> object database not a relational database, i.e. more like ZODB than MySQL.
> It uses similar concepts to django's data api but isn't the same. It should
> be possible to write something simple to replace it, but given that you
> only need to migrate away from Google when your data or page hits get
> large, you need to replace it with something scalable.

I have a bet with a coworker that someone will implement the api, in a
way that makes migration away from Google easy, within a month.
(actually, the bet is just that there will be a project with this
goal). The reason I mention it here, is that he had the same comments
as you regarding this. My thinking is that (if past experiences can be
used as a yardstick) the python community will see this deficiency and
work to correct it.  As a result of that thinking, I am fairly certain
that this concern is not a big concern.  The authentication thing,
thats a bit different.