How to find documentation about methods etc. for iterators

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 10 12:13:26 EDT 2008

<tinnews at isbd.co.uk> wrote in message
news:47fdceb8$0$754$bed64819 at news.gradwell.net...
| Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
| >
| > <tinnews at isbd.co.uk> wrote in message
| > news:47fce941$0$755$bed64819 at news.gradwell.net...
| > | I'm not sure if I have even phrased that right but anyway....
| > |
| > | How does one find (in the standard Python documentation) information
| > | about things like the iteritems() method and the enumerate()
function.

| > The Library Reference manual sections on builtin functions and dict
| > methods.
| >
| > Or, help(enumerate) and help({}.iteritems)
| >
| .... but that doesn't address my problem really, how do I know that I
| need to look for the words enumerate and/or iteritems?  This is what
| my original question was about.

Do what Gabriel said: read chapters 2 and 3 of the Lib Manual.  You will
not necessarily remember everything, but you will have an idea of what
functionalities exist and know to go look again.  In a few months, read
them again.

As for the stdlib, at least scan through the table of contents so you have
a general idea of what there is.  The documentation of modules (as well as
of builtins) is much improved from 10 years ago, when the only doc for some
was the code.

tjr