Learning curve for new database program with Python?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat Apr 5 21:31:52 EDT 2008

Jetus wrote:
> I have a need for a database program. I downloaded the db2 from ibm,
> and reviewed some of the documentation.
>
> My question is, what is the easiest program for me to try to learn. I
> will be creating a database of about 25,000 records, it will be
> relational. I am a beginner Python programmer, and need a database
> solution that is easy to grasp. I played with sql,
> and found that very difficult, if not overly cumbersome.

    Basic SQL isn't that hard.  Learn CREATE, SELECT, INSERT,
UPDATE, and DELETE syntax.  That's enough for most simple
applications.

    I'd suggest using sqlite if you're doing something that
runs as a single standalone application, and MySQL if there
are multiple users of the database or it's a web service.
IBM's DB2 or Oracle is overkill for 25,000 records.

    Install MySQL and its graphical client, and play with
it a bit.  Create a table, type in a few records, and
try various SELECT statements. That will give you a sense of how SQL works.

				John Nagle