pop langs website ranking

xahlee at gmail.com xahlee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:53:17 EDT 2008

I have updated the computing sites popularity ranking, based on both
alexa.com and quantcast.com.

The whole report nicely formatted in HTML is here:
 http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/lang_sites.html

The following is a summary of some highlights.

the relative popularity of the following sites is roughly this:

sun.com
java.com
php.net
slashdot.com
Mysql.com
gnu.org
wolfram.com
Python.org
cpan.org
xahlee.org
Perl.org
Perl.com
paulgraham.com
haskell.org
novig.com
emacswiki.org
franz.com
lispworks.com
Gigamonkeys.com
schemers.org

This is just sites i'm familiar or used to or comes to mind. There are
of course many other popularly used computing sites.

Alexa's data is more reliable than quantcast. Quantcast often has very
bad info as of current. However, alexa's data does not seems reliable
in some absolute sense.

The one question that puzzles me is why gnu.org is ranked so high,
since as far as i know it isn't that much of a active site for news,
blog, wiki, or anything. The only reason i can think of is that lots
of software points to it for the GPL, but this can't explain all.

Note that adding together the traffic of cpan.org, perl.com, perl.org,
they are about a bit higher than python.org, as expected.

I'm not clear what's the relative popularity of sun.com, java.com, and
php.com. Before alexa changed their ranking algorithm recently,
php.net is ranked high above sun.com (a ranking of 500 vs 900), but
now alexa shows that sun.com has about 10 times more visitors than
php.net. Quantcast's data on these 3 sites is more bewilding. For
example, it estimates that java.com has 5 million unique visitors per
month, while giving sun.com 1.5 M only, and php only 78 k. I think
quantcast's data here is quite fuckd.

  Xah
  xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/