Calling Python code from inside php

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Apr 26 14:44:09 EDT 2008

Eric Wertman schrieb:
>>  > A simple yet dangerous and rather rubbish solution (possibly more of a
>>  > hack than a real implementation) could be achieved by using a
>>  > technique described above:
>>  >
>>  > <?php
>>  >         echo exec('python foo.py');
>>
>>  This will spawn a Python interpreter, and not be particularly
>>  efficient. You could just as well have used CGI.
>
> I'm  in a bit of a similar situation.  I decided to use python to
> solve problems where I could, in a more regimented fashion.  For
> instance, I have a set of functions in a script, table.py.  After I
> set up mod_python to handle requests to a single directory with
> python, I can call this with:
>
> <?php include("http://localhost/py/table/nodes"); ?>
>
> embedded in the page.  This is probably pretty hackish too, but at
> least it doesn't spawn a new process, and I don't have to solve things
> that aren't related to display with php.

You mean opening a local-loop socket instead of a anonymous socket,
hogging at least another apache process and then possibly spawning
another process if the python-script is implemented as real CGI - not
fast_cgi or python - is the better solution? I doubt that. More wasteful
in all aspects, with small to any gain at all.

Unix uses pipes as IPC all the time. I fail to see why that is "rubbish".

Diez