Java or C++?

Brian breily at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:43:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:24 AM, bdsatish <bdsatish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 12:21 pm, Bob Martin <bob.mar... at excite.com> wrote:
> > in 342367 20080414 074410 s0s... at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on a subject. I've been
> > >programming Python for almost two years now. Recently I learned Perl,
> > >but frankly I'm not very comfortable with it. Now I want to move on
> > >two either Java or C++, but I'm not sure which. Which one do you think
> > >is a softer transition for a Python programmer? Which one do you think
> > >will educate me the best?
> >

> Certainly Java. It's also easier to find Java jobs than C++ jobs.
>
> --

It may be easier to find Java jobs, but learning C++ will increase your
understanding of computers a lot more than Java.  Mainly in the area of
memory management - C++ pointers really force you to understand whats going
on below the surface.  If you're not locked in to learning on those, I would
suggest learning Lisp instead - it'll make you a better python programmer.