design choice: multi-threaded / asynchronous wxpython client?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Sun Apr 27 09:55:35 EDT 2008

bullockbefriending bard wrote:
> I am a complete ignoramus and newbie when it comes to designing and
> coding networked clients (or servers for that matter). I have a copy
> of Goerzen (Foundations of Python Network Programming) and once
> pointed in the best direction should be able to follow my nose and get
> things sorted... but I am not quite sure which is the best path to
> take and would be grateful for advice from networking gurus.
>
> I am writing a program to display horse racing tote odds in a desktop
> client program. I have access to an HTTP (open one of several URLs,
> and I get back an XML doc with some data... not XML-RPC.) source of
> XML data which I am able to parse and munge with no difficulty at all.
> I have written and successfully tested a simple command line program
> which allows me to repeatedly poll the server and parse the XML. Easy
> enough, but the real world production complications are:
>
> 1) The data for the race about to start updates every (say) 15
> seconds, and the data for earlier and later races updates only every
> (say) 5 minutes. There is  no point for me to be hammering the server
> with requests every 15 seconds for data for races after the upcoming
> race... I should query for this perhaps every 150s to be safe. But for
> the upcoming race, I must not miss any updates and should query every
> ~7s to be safe. So... in the middle of  a race meeting the situation
> might be:
> race 1 (race done with, no-longer querying), race 2 (race done with,
> no longer querying) race 3 (about to start, data on server for this
> race updating every 15s, my client querying every 7s), races 4-8 (data
> on server for these races updating every 5 mins, my client querying
> every 2.5 mins)
>
> 2) After a race has started and betting is cut off and there are
> consequently no more tote updates for that race (it is possible to
> determine when this occurs precisely because of an attribute in the
> XML data), I need to stop querying (say) race 3 every 7s and remove
> race 4 from the 150s query group and begin querying its data every 7s.
>
> 3) I need to dump this data (for all races, not just current about to
> start race) to text files, store it as BLOBs in a DB *and* update real
> time display in a wxpython windowed client.
>
> My initial thought was to have two threads for the different update
> polling cycles. In addition I would probably need another thread to
> handle UI stuff, and perhaps another for dealing with file/DB data
> write out. But, I wonder if using Twisted is a better idea? I will
> still need to handle some threading myself, but (I think) only for
> keeping wxpython happy by doing all this other stuff off the main
> thread + perhaps also persisting received data in yet another thread.
>
> I have zero experience with these kinds of design choices and would be
> very happy if those with experience could point out the pros and cons
> of each (synchronous/multithreaded,  or Twisted) for dealing with the
> [...]
IMHO using twisted will give you the best performance and framework.  Since it
uses callbacks for every request, your machine could handle a LOT of different
external queries and keep everything updated in WX.  Might be a little tricky to
get working with WX, but I recall Googling for something like this not long ago
and there appeared to be sufficient information on how to get working.

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/choosing-reactor.html

Twisted even automatically uses threads to keep SQL database storage routines
from blocking (see Chapter 4 of Twisted Network Programming Essentials)

This is an ambitious project, good luck.

-Larry