Presumably an import is no faster or slower than opening a file?

tinnews at isbd.co.uk tinnews at isbd.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 09:05:20 EDT 2008

Paul McGuire <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 8:41 am, tinn... at isbd.co.uk wrote:
> > I'm trying to minimise the overheads of a small Python utility, I'm
> > not really too fussed about how fast it is but I would like to
> > minimise its loading effect on the system as it could be called lots
> > of times (and, no, I don't think there's an easy way of keeping it
> > running and using the same copy repeatedly).
> >
> > It needs a configuration file of some sort which I want to keep
> > separate from the code, is there thus anything to choose between a
> > configuration file that I read after:-
> >
> >     f = open("configFile", 'r')
> >
> > ... and importing a configuration written as python dictionaries or
> > whatever:-
> >
> >     import myConfig
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
>
> Chris -
>
> The question is less an issue of the file overhead (both must open a
> file, read its contents, and then close it) than what is done with the
> file contents afterwards.
>
> A config file containing .INI-style or whatever content will need to
> be parsed into Python data/objects, and likely use Python code to do
> so.  An import will use the Python compiler itself, using optimized
> compiled C code to do the parsing and data/object construction.  But I
> think you would only see the distinction in a config file of
> substantial size or complexity.  If you think this will make a
> substantial difference in performance, then code up a test case and
> time it.
>
> In general, I'd say that splitting performance hairs to tip a design
> choice one way or another is a misguided premature optimization.

I quite agree (about the splitting hairs bit that is), as I said
before I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing anything really
obvious and, thus, that there probably isn't much to choose between
the two approaches.  Therefore I'll decide which way to do it on the
basis of 'usability'.

--
Chris Green