win-shortcuts, file associates and command-line parameters ?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 21:06:24 EDT 2008

On Apr 11, 4:40 pm, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> > En Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:03:28 -0300, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com>
> > escribió:
>
> >> under windows I tried to make a shortcut to a py -file, to run a program.
> >> So making a shortcut like this works perfect:
> >>   D:\PyLab_Works.py
>
> >> But the problem is that I need to give some commandline parameters to
> >> the py-file,
> >> and
>
> >>   D:\PyLab_Works.py   btc_test
> >> But the parameter doesn't seem to arrive in the python program
>
> > Check the associated command for .py files; see this message
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/056ba14ae4fa57e3
>
> Didn't work for me winXP-SP2, even after a restart :-(
> But anyway thanks for the effort.
>
> cheers,
> Stef Mientki

You could try uninstalling Python and reinstalling it. Or you could do
a registry hack.

I did a search for what Gabriel was talking about and it looks like
the key you want is found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\applications\pythonw.exe\shell
\Edit with IDLE\command

Mine has the following for its value:

"L:\Python24\pythonw.exe" "L:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -n -e
"%1" %*

Make sure that the type is REG_SZ.

As always, unless you know what you're doing, back up the registry (or
create a restore point) before messing with it. However, I think the
only thing that this hack could possibly do is mess up your Python
install more if it was screwed up.

Mike