Learning curve for new database program with Python?

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 13:00:52 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 10:50�am, Jetus <stevegi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a need for a database program. I downloaded the db2 from ibm,
> and reviewed some of the documentation.
>
> My question is, what is the easiest program for me to try to learn. I
> will be creating a database of about 25,000 records, it will be
> relational. I am a beginner Python programmer, and need a database
> solution that is easy to grasp. I played with sql,
> and found that very difficult, if not overly cumbersome.
>
> A database that could work with Django would be very interesting to
> look at as well..
>
> Any suggestions out there?

You didn't mention the system you're using or whether
you require something that's free.

Microsoft Access is easy to learn. You can become very
productive without every needing to learn SQL. Of course,
you'll need to learn some SQL in order to interface to
Python. But the good news is you can use the MS-Access
drag-and-drop interface to learn how to set up the
relational queries and once it's running, you can
display the underlying SQL code to learn how to
use it in Python.

For example, I often design the queries in Access
(where I have the advantage of visual design) and
use simple SELECT calls from Python do retrieve
the data.