Python 2.5 adoption

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 18 22:01:28 EDT 2008

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Thomas Bellman <bellman at lysator.liu.se> writes:
>
> > For what it's worth, Fedora 8 has Python 2.5, RHEL 5 ships with
> > Python 2.4, and RHEL 4 has Python 2.3. Suse and Debian, I don't
> > know.
>
> The current Debian "stable" branch (4.0r3, "etch", released
> 2008-02-17) has the 'python' package installing Python 2.4.4.
>
> The current Debian "testing" branch ("lenny", the next in line for
> release) has the 'python' package installing Python 2.4.5. It also has
> Python 2.5.2, and before too long will be installing that as the
> 'python' package.
>
> The current Debian "unstable" branch (never to be released, but a
> staging area for new package versions) has the 'python' package
> installing Python 2.5.2.

Much better than the URLs I gave to the raw data, here is the full
package information page for 'python-defaults'
<URL:http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-defaults.html>.

The section titled "Available versions" shows the current default
versions of Python in all currently-supported branches of Debian.

--
 \       “Working out the social politics of who you can trust and why |
  `\      is, quite literally, what a very large part of our brain has |