Why prefer != over <> for Python 3.0?

Bob Martin bob.martin at excite.com
Wed Apr 2 06:39:00 EDT 2008

in 340625 20080402 094139 "Hendrik van Rooyen" <mail at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
>John J. Lee wrote:
>
>>How did programmers manage back then in 32k?
>
>Some of the answers, in no particular sequence, are:
>
>Tight, small operating systems that did the minimum.

Apart from the GUI stuff, mainframe operating systems did everything that
today's x86 OSs do.  Early releases of IBM's OS/360 could run in 64KB
and offered Fortran, Cobol etc
The task time-sharing on release 12 (MVT, about 1971) was better than
that in Windows XP or Vista (that should start a few arguments).

>Assembler.
>Sequential Processing:
>- small tasks with multiple passes on tape
>( like the concept of Unix pipes )
>Overlays.
>Character based menu systems.
>No OO.
>Code structured to the point of incomprehensibility:
>- if ten or so instructions looked similar,
>you forced calls instead of inlining.

I think you have that back-to-front - it is unstructured code with lots
of inlining which is incomprehensible.