Is this a good time to start learning python?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 1 19:17:54 EDT 2008

lbonafide at yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2:42 pm, "Eduardo O. Padoan" <eduardo.pad... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM,  <lbonaf... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>  You misunderstand.  C++ has a lot of "warts" to maintain backwards
>>>  compatibility with C.  The standards committee could eliminate these
>>>  warts to make the language "cleaner", but it would break a lot of
>>>  systems.
>> It would not "break" anything that not move from C to C++, this is my point.
>
> You missed the point completely.  C++ has a new version coming out
> soon, and as part of it, the less attractive parts of the language
> (like C compatibility) are NOT being removed, as that would break a
> lot of existing apps.
>
>> People not willing to take the migration path (porting to 2.6, using
>> the -3 flag, refactoring and re-running the tests untill the warning
>> are gone, using the 2to3 tool...) will not upgrade. No one will force
>> you to do it. 2.6 will not desappear from the python.org site anytime
>> soon.
>
> Will 2.6 be supported with patches and fixes going forward?

Yes.

About the only definite assertion Guido has so far made about the 2.x
series is that it won't go further than 2.9, as he feels that 2.10 is
ambiguous about its position in the series.

You should expect at least three years of Python 2.X after the release
of 3.0 (and the simultaneous release of 2.6) this August.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119