Rationale for read-only property of co_code

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Apr 3 01:27:00 EDT 2008

Dan Upton wrote:
>>  The thing I've been wondering is why _is_ it read-only? In what
>>  circumstances having write access to co_code would break the language
>>  or do some other nasty stuff?
>>
>>  João Neves
>
> I can't speak to Python's implementation in particular, but
> self-modifying code in general is unpleasant.

     Yes.  Self-modifying code has a long and painful history.

     It's sometimes useful to generate and execute code
dynamically, but that's different than modifying running code.
Python already has "eval", plus the ability to compile and include
new code at run time, so the useful facilities are already working.

				John Nagle