httplib VERY slow

reacocard reacocard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:54:01 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 8:50 pm, reacocard <reacoc... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm writing a download manager in python, and httplib is being
> very slow when pulling from localhost or even other servers on the
> local network. I'm getting about 10MB in 14s with httplib, while wget
> hits 80MB in less than 3s. You can find the code I made to benchmark
> this here:http://pastebin.ca/973486(noslor is mapped to my IP in /
> etc/hosts)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how I can
> fix it? I'm using python2.5 under Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with apache2 for
> the webserver.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Upon further investigation, the slowness appears to be related to this
bug report: http://bugs.python.org/issue508157
Applying the fix given in the bug report speeds up httplib immensely.
So now the question becomes, what is the best way to implement this?
Should I go ahead and subclass most of httplib, or is there an easier
way?